Please see below for a complete overview of our EMV Reader, which includes requirements, pairing instructions, and troubleshooting. A PDF version of this article can be downloaded via the link at the bottom of the page.
The EMV Reader is a bluetooth paired Credit Card Reader which accepts Apple Pay, Google Pay, Chip Cards and Contactless Payments.
Important: The EMV feature must be enabled for your account by atVenu. If EMV is not enabled for your account, you will not be able to pair the Reader or accept payments. Please contact support@atVenu.com
- Bluetooth: The iPad’s Bluetooth must be turned on. If Bluetooth is off, the red indicator in the upper left will read “Bluetooth Off"
- Internet: A stable internet connection is required to pair the EMV Reader and for the EMV Reader to function. Because the EMV Reader can only function with an internet connection, you have the ability to run EMV in combination with our Pro (Lightning) or Lite (Audio) Readers which function in Offline Mode conditions
- Location Services: Location Services must be enabled on the device and on the atVenu Register app under device Settings
- To enable Location Services for the device access Settings > Privacy > Location Services
- To enable Location Services for the Register app access Settings, scroll down to locate atVenu Register in your list of installed apps. Select it, then tap Location Services, then tap to enable on While Using the App
Pairing the EMV Reader from the atVenu Register app
Access the atVenu Register app on your device
- Log in to atVenu Register, select your show and if applicable, select a stand
Access Reader Settings within the atVenu Register app
- Tap the Menu button in the upper left
- Tap Settings, then Readers from the menu
- Tap the EMV Reader Connect button
Shortcut: Tap the red “1 Device Missing” notification in the upper right corner to access the Reader selection screen
Power on the Card Reader
- Press the Power Button on side of Card Reader
- LED will color cycle (Blue, Green, Red)
- When LED flashes blue (Once per second) it is ready to pair
Pair the EMV Card Reader
- Hold the Reader close to the iPad
- Wait for a moment and the Reader will appear in the Discovered Readers list
- Make sure the last 6 digits of the number in the list match the label on the back of Reader, then tap to select the matching Reader
- A message will display ‘Connecting to EMV Reader - - - - - -’
- Pairing may take several seconds
- Once paired, the EMV Reader will now display Connected
- The red connection indicator in the upper right will become green and read “1 Device Active”
- Once you’ve added items to the cart and have tapped Checkout, you’ll be presented with the Insert or Tap Card EMV Reader messaging
Payment Processing Methods
- The EMV Reader supports the following processing methods:
- Contactless (Enabled CC, Apple Pay, and Google Pay)
- Chip Card Insertion
- Magnetic Stripe Swipe (Located on back of Reader)
Multiple Readers and EMV Behavior
Because the EMV Reader can only function with an internet connection, you have the ability to run EMV in combination with our Pro (Lightning) or Lite (Audio) Readers which function in Offline Mode conditions. You can have any combination of Readers connected at the same time, and process transactions using any connected Reader option.
For instance, you can be primarily processing your transactions with EMV, but also have a Pro Reader plugged into the Lightning Port. You have the ability to swipe cards with the Pro Reader, even though the EMV Reader is also connected and vice versa.
- Pro (Lightning) and Lite (Audio) Readers are connected simply by plugging them into the appropriate input on the iOS device
- EMV Readers cannot function in Offline Mode. If internet connection is lost or the Offline Mode Authorization Timeout limit is exceeded, you will be prompted to swipe using a connected Pro or Lite Reader
Bad Chip Reads
If you experience a bad chip read with EMV, you will be prompted to try again or use an alternate Credit Card for payment. After a bad chip read, you are also able to swipe the chip card from the back of the EMV Reader, or with a connected Pro or Lite Reader.
To Disconnect EMV Card Reader
- Tap the Menu button in the upper left
- Tap Settings, then Readers from the menu
- Tap Disconnect to un-pair the EMV Reader
Shortcut: Tap the green “1 Device Active” notification in the upper right corner to access the Reader selection screen
The EMV Reader can run on its internal battery, however hard line power is recommended whenever possible for best performance.
- Current battery percentage is displayed below the EMV Reader on the Readers screen
- Low Battery warnings will be displayed when the the Reader reaches 20% and 10%
The Reader must be plugged in to power when the battery reaches 20% in order to avoid connectivity issues.
Apple/Google Pay - Receipts & Refunds
- To issue Receipts or Refunds for Apple/Google Pay orders, search Transactions by the customer’s Device Account Number
- This number can be located in the customer’s digital Wallet
Register will remember the Reader it was paired with if:
- atVenu Register crashes
- The iPad goes to sleep
- The Reader is powered off
Register will attempt to pair the EMV Reader again automatically. This can take 15-30 seconds. If the Reader does not automatically connect, proceed to manual pairing.
Register will forget the Reader it was paired with if:
- You log out of atVenu Register
- You tap the Disconnect button
The EMV Reader will be disconnected and need to be manually paired. It will not automatically reconnect.
EMV Reader Firmware Updates
The Card Reader will require periodic updates to continue accepting payments. You will be prompted to install any available firmware updates immediately after successfully pairing a device. Please note that the EMV Reader must be at least 50% charged in order to update firmware.
- Once the Reader is paired, the green Connected indicator will become red and read: Updating Firmware. This may take several minutes
- The LED will flash light blue while the update is downloading
- The LED on the Reader will then flash multiple colors indicating the update is being installed
- The Reader may disconnect temporarily from the Register after installation. Please wait for any additional updates to be installed and for the device to reboot. This can take several seconds
- Once all updates have been downloaded and installed, the Reader LED will turn solid blue and the notifier in the upper right will be green and read “1 Device Active”
- The progress bubble will then become green again and indicate that your update was successfully completed
- The EMV Reader is now ready for use
If the Reader does not appear in the list of devices:
- Ensure the blue light is flashing once per second which indicates the Reader is available for pairing
- Remove the EMV Reader from its charging cradle and attempt pairing again
If the Register is unable to connect to a selected Reader from the list, you will see the Connection Error message:
- This is likely due to an unstable internet connection. Check internet connection to rule this out
- If the problem persists, proceed to quit, and relaunch atVenu Register as well as power cycling the Reader
- Then attempt to pair the Reader again
Power Cycling Steps to Resolve Most Connection or Pairing Issues:
- Quit the Register app by double tapping the Home button on the device and swiping up on the Register app
- The Reader cannot be turned off while it is plugged in to power - Remove the Reader from its Charging Cradle and/or unplug the Power Cable
- Power off Reader by pressing and holding the Power Button on side of Reader for 3 seconds
- Relaunch atVenu Register, select show (and stand), and access Settings > Readers
- Power on the Reader by pressing the Power Button on the side and attempt to pair the Reader again
- Place the Reader back in its Charging Cradle
If you are still having trouble pairing the Reader proceed to:
- Perform a power cycle of the iPad by holding down the Power button and the Home button at the same time
- Perform a hard reset of the Reader by inserting and pressing a pin or paperclip into the small hole on the bottom of the Reader